Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Dinner with friends and a few more "I"' of infertility realities

Last night my book club went to dinner instead of talking about a book. In general I had a nice time. Good food, lots of laughs and of course a few stinging reminders that I was the only one without kids. My "I" of infertility was definitely isolated and slightly infuriated (infuriated may be too strong of a word). I rode with one of the ladies who lives in my neighborhood and it just so happens she has a month and half old baby. It's hard because I don't really gush over the baby like I used to. I keep my distance and detach myself from the situation as much as I can. At one point during the dinner I was looking at the baby and almost started crying.

Much of the time is spent talking about everyone's kids. Which is what I expect. Only two of the group work full time in an office and the rest of the group are stay at home mom's so their day revolves around their children. I am OK with these conversations. I know that is where people are in their life and I was a nanny for 10 years so I have some insight into what they are talking about and have no problem adding to the conversation. But what really infuriated me is a comment one of the ladies said,  I asked about her baby who is teething and she said that the baby was really uncomfortable and grumpy and she almost put a post of Facebook asking if anyone wanted a 6 month old. I was so mad because - Yes, someone does want a 6 month old even if they are teething - ME! I was so mad! This friend also has struggled with infertility for many years and she knows the pain of not having one and wanting one sooo bad. I could feel the flash of anger cross my face and I'm not sure of she saw it at all. On the way out to the car someone else made a comment about how I can't complain about being out so late because I don't have kids and won't have to be up in middle of the night.


It's amazing how when you are dealing with infertility normal social interactions turn into emotional minefields.

No comments:

Post a Comment